Combination Employment Authorization/Advance Parole Card Combo Card

San Diego Skyline

Please note that on February 11, 2011, USCIS began issuing employment and travel authorization on a single card for certain applicants filing an Application to Adjust Status to U.S. Permanent Resident (I-485). This document will be issued where a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, and Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, are concurrently filed. The document that is issued looks similar to the current plastic Employment Authorization Document (“EAD”) card but also includes the following text: “Serves as I-512 Advance Parole.” This document will provide an individual with U.S. work authorization and will allow an individual to travel abroad and return to the U.S. Upon arriving at a U.S. port-of-entry, this document would be presented to a Customs and Border Protection (“CBP”) Officer to request parole. Please note that this card must have been approved and issued prior to a departure from the U.S. and must be valid upon an individual’s return to the U.S. to be eligible for parole into the U.S. The traditional paper AP documents will continue to be valid and will continue to be issued when an individual is not eligible for a Combo Card. Please review the information below, which explains how and when an AP document may/must be used for international travel when an I-485 application is pending with USCIS.


This is general information. Please also note that these FAQs relate to general AP legal concepts which apply to both the traditional paper AP document and the new Combo Card, however some of the information within these FAQs solely relates to the traditional paper AP document. If after review of this document specific questions or concerns arise, please be sure to contact your LAC attorney, well in advance of departure from the U.S., and well in advance of purchasing non-refundable tickets.

Contact Us