How does a student become eligible for cap-gap?

Field of bamboo trees with walkway
An H-1B petition must be filed and accepted on behalf of the student during the H-1B acceptance period while the student is in valid F-1 status (including during the student’s academic course of study, authorized periods of post-completion OPT authorization, and during the 60-day grace period). The petition must request a change of status from F-1 to H-1Bto begin on October 1 of the year in which the application is made. Petitions requesting consular processing of the H-1B petition are not eligible for cap-gap. Students meeting this criteria will automatically have their F-1 status extended until September 30 unless the H-1B petition is denied, revoked or withdrawn.

Contact Us