How does a student covered under the cap-gap extension obtain proof of continuing status?

Downtown San Diego from Coronado
The student should go to their DSO with evidence of a timely filed H-1B petition (indicating a request for change of status rather than for consular processing). The student’s DSO will issue a new cap-gap I-20 indicating the continued extension of F-1 status. A new EAD is not required. If the H-1B petition has been filed but a receipt notice (Form I-797) has not yet been issued and the student’s OPT expires prior to June 1, the student’s DSO will issue a preliminary cap-gap I-20 showing an extension until June 1. If the H-1B petition is selected for adjudication, the student should return to his or her DSO with a copy of the USCIS receipt notice indicating that the petition was accepted by USCIS. The DSO will issue a new I-20 indicating the extension of F-1 status.

Contact Us