What documents authorize OPT employment?

Field of bamboo trees with walkway

Students must initiate the process by requesting the Designated School Official (DSO) at their academic institution to recommend OPT. The DSO makes the recommendation by endorsing the student’s Form I-20 and by making the appropriate notation in SEVIS, the system used to track F-1 students. Students then file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization Document (EAD), with USCIS. If approved, USCIS will issue an EAD to the student. The student may begin pre-or post-completion OPT employment only after an application has been approved and an EAD has been issued.

Contact Us