What if a student does not qualify for a cap-gap extension?

Field of bamboo trees with walkway

F-1 students whose periods of authorized stay or work authorization expire before October 1 and who do not qualify for a cap-gap extension are required to leave the United States, apply for an H-1B visa at a consular post abroad, and then seek readmission to the United States in H-1B status for the dates reflected on the approved H-1B petition.

Contact Us